YAC-Nepal is implementing Strengthening the Right to Food Project in Far-west since 2008. The project is funded by Bread for the World, Germany. By 2019, four phases of strengthening the Right to Food project have been completed. This is the 5th phase of Strengthening Right to Food in Sudurpaschim Province- Nepal (N-NPL-2019-0298). The project period of this phase is Dec1, 2019 to Nov 30, 2022. It is the extension of the on-going project. The project is mainly focused on the empowerment of Right to Violated Community for increasing their access and control over public resources and services.
The Project coverage area includes all districts of all districts of Sudurpaschim Province i.e. Kailali, Doti, Bajhang, Achham, Bajura, Kanchanpur, Dadeldhura, Baitadi and Bajura.
Empowered right holders contribute to mainstream and hold the duty bearers accountable towards its obligations to respect; protect & fulfill the human right to adequate food in Nepal.
RtF Vulnerable Communities in 9 districts have increasingly access to and control over resources and services for strengthening their right to food situation.
1. 10 new RtF VCs, of which 3 are Women and 2 are of Dalit RtF VCs, accessed resources and services from VDC/DDC and government organizations from 2nd year of this project period.
2. Local or Central Level government take relevant policy decisions (allocation fund support) and /or implement existing provisions in favor of 14 (out of 19) RtF VCs, who enrolled their demands in the local government planning process.
1. RtF Vulnerable Communities Capacity Strengthened to Access the Resources & Services
2. Duty bearers initiated actions towards RtF VCs
3. Strengthened CSOs for Collective Lobby & Advocacy
4. Overall Project Capacity Building, Coordination, Consultancy and PME
- Document 19 New RtF violation cases including 1 ETO case in collaboration with FIAN Nepal in 9 districts of province # 7 (far west region)
- Organize 10 events of one day RtF orientation to 150 person including at least 50% female (15 person from each New 10 SCs ) at site/field Focus on RtF concept, tools and instrument
- Organize 30 events of Press meet including approx27 at local/federal and 3 events at National level focusing on RtF issue and local election.
- 20 events of Delegation/lobby meetings of which 15events to local or province level authorities (VDC, DDC, DADO, CDO, etc) and 5 events at department and ministry level for 9-Ongoing cases. Similarly 28 events for 10 New Cases of which 23 delegation at local level and 5 at central level ie department/ministry level.
- Organize 5 Events of Public hearing for 2 ongoing and 3 new cases at district level.
- Organize 114 events of Casework follow-up visits/meetings/ information/ progress update etc in all 19 cases 2 times per 3 year
- Facilitate 30 episodes of Radio program on RtF -10 events in each three years for creating mass awareness.
- Produce- one video Documentary on RtF case.
- Publications of RtF Case-Lets-of 19 cases, (3800 set) Community RtF Advocacy Booklet-400 sets, RtF Information Sheet-500 sets, Annual Reports, RtF Newsletter/Bulletin, Calendars, -600 sets
- Organize 10 events of orientation to 300 representatives (30 in each event) from VDC/municipality/ level planning committee including newly elected local government representatives on RtF Concept, tools/instrument, constitutional provision & Process where case work is exist for 1 day at VDC level.
- Organize 9 – Events of Orientations to 270 representatives (30 person in each 9 Events) from District Level government authorities/Line agencies (LAs) & political parties (PPs) on RtF concept, instrument, & obligations of duty bearers in 9 districts for one day each.
- Organize 19 events of VDC & District level Interaction/meetings with 190 representatives from VDC & District Level LAs Authorities including PPs on case work status & next steps for 1 day each events ( for all cases taken under case work process)
- Review/update the existing policy mapping document, and publish 500 copies for distribution to SCs, RTF Network and RtF Promoters
- Organize 1 event of 3 days Training on Advocacy Skills to 20 RtF Promoters (33% female) at province level.
- Organize one event of RtF + case documentation/analyses trainings to 20 RtF promoters (33% female) for 2 days at province level.
- Three Events of province level interaction workshop jointly with FIAN Nepal, UMN, LWF (one in each 3 year) to 2 representatives from 9-RtF Network and CSOs with focus on Local election, Nepal government’s “0” hunger strategy and action plan, RTF Bill, CSOs position paper, and RtF situation of each district
- 27 events of joint meeting (1 events in each 3 year in each 9 district) to 216 RtF Networks Secretariats/member, UMN and SCs representatives to support/follow-up the RtF VCs cases, review the progress on case work, sharing the findings and progress of RTF case monitoring in their districts (2 days each events.
- Joint activities/Solidarity on RtF VCs cases/issues (Day celebration-HR, WF day, Environment day, farmers day (54 events within 3 year period), & 27 events of meetings, Workshops/Seminar/ Interactions/lobby & advocacy/ /Rallies jointly with FIAN Nepal, RtF network, INSEC, LWF, & other CSOs for collaboration in HR movements such as -demanding local election, implementation of RtF related policy provisions and implementing Ziro Hunger strategy guideline/action plan addressing issue of RtF victims, at district and province level.
- Organize 1- events of 1 day orientation to 20 Media personnel at province level
- 3 days ToT on Advocacy tools and Instrument and case work process to 15 persons.
- 2 days training on Governance & Accountability and inclusive planning process to 15 people.
- Since 2008 to June 2017, total 26 cases of RtF Violation documented in Mid west and Far west.
- HIV/AIDS Infected Single Women Facing Food In-security Case, Achham: District Development Council Achham made a policy decision to provide Food Allowance to HIV Infected Single Women.
- Poor Germination of Wheat Seed Case Baliya, Kailali: RtF violated households accessed NRs 7 laks as a compensation against crop loss due to low quality wheat seed.
- Raji/Kumal case: Community people empowered to incorporate their demand in the Govt planning process and able to access the Govt fund of Rs 5lakhs.
- Farmers Forcedly Evicted by Nepal Army -Bajhang (Land Capture Case): RtF Violated Community accessed compensation of NRs 1.7 million for crop loss and NRs.30 millon for the value of captured land.
- Deprivation of Natural Resources Leads to Food Insecurity of Indigenous Community (Raji and Kumal) Case, Bhajani,Kailali: Community people empowered to incorporate their demand in the Government Planning Process and able to access the Govt fund of Rs 5 lakhs.
- Landslide/Flood Case, Jogbudha/Sirsa, Dadeldhura: The Government decided to release NRs 30 million for safe settlement of 94 households.
- Irrigation canal Seepage case in Beldadi and Rauteli: Accessed services from Ministry of Irrigation and Land Development (MILD). Consequently, 400 hectors wetland converted into cultivated land after 12 years.
- Freed Kamaiya Case (Ex-Bonded Labor), Dhanchauri, Kailali (Flood/Erosion Case): The Community people accessed 1.5 million for the embankment construction and accessed 0.5 million for livelihood support.
- Farmers Deprived of Drinking & Irrigation Water Case, Mundre Syaltadi, Melauli, Baitadi (Land Slide/Flood Case): District Coordination Committee (DCC), Baitadi allocated 5 lakhs for the repair and maintenance of drinking water source.
- Badi Facing Livelihood due to Displacement of Traditional Occupation Case,Doti and Bajhang: Empowered Badi Community of Bajhang and Doti for accessing resources under Peoples Housing Program. The Government allocated the Budget for 25 households of Badi Community of under Peoples Housing Program. Now, 25 family members are living in the safe house.The Government has recently decided to build 100 houses for Dalit and Badi community in Bajhang.
- Bhajani Flood/Flooding Case: The Government Decided to provide NRs 3 million to construct the embankment applying bio engineering technology